How does that old curse go? “May you live in interesting times.”
And the times, they are interesting! With the advent of Covid-19, panic buying has emptied the grocery stores of products like toilet paper, paper towels, bottled water, eggs, milk….and bread.
Well, here’s a recipe for making your own bread. It’s pretty easy, even for inexperienced bakers. And since many of us are on furlough from work, why not use that extra time by getting creative in the kitchen?
HOME-MADE FLATBREAD (Makes 6)
- 2 cups flour
- 1-1 1/4 cup of lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon oil/butter/shortening
- Mix dry ingredients together and add 1 cup water. Mix.
- Add additional water until it has the consistency of tacky pizza dough.
- Knead for five minutes.
- Let rest in covered greased bowl for 30-60 minutes.
- Divide into six pieces and roll out on floured surface thin (tortilla thickness).
- Heat griddle to 350F.
- Cook until golden brown spots appear (1-2 minutes). Flip and cook for a couple more minutes.
The flatbread can be frozen for later use. It can be used as an accompaniment for soup or stew. It is also delicious spread with mashed pinto/black beans, shredded cheese, and salsa.