As mentioned in a previous article, January is National Soup Day. Therefore, I’m posting one last soup recipe: Chicken Pumpkin Soup. This is a reprint from 2018, but the dish is so tasty I think it’s worth another look.
CHICKEN PUMPKIN SOUP (2-3 servings)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 pound cubed uncooked skinless and boneless chicken breast, cut into 1″ cubes. *
- 1 cup (3 stalks) chopped celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 15 ounce can of solid packed pumpkin
- 1 15 ounce can chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream, warmed to room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Juice of one lemon
1. In a large saucepan, heat the vegetable oil.
2.Add the next five ingredients and saute for five minutes.
3.Add everything else, except for the lemon juice, and mix well.
4.Heat until the mixture is bubbling. Lower to simmer, and cook for 20 minutes.
This dish is good with cornbread. It reheats well using the heating devices I have previously mentioned. (See “Equipment and Gadgets” under “Menu” section.)
*You can also use cubed pre-cooked chicken or turkey. Do not saute as in Step 2. Instead, add the meat at Step 4.