Happy Cinco de Mayo, everyone!
This menu may look a little complex, but the two dishes can be quickly and easily assembled with pre-cooked, pre-packaged ingredients. The rice and enchiladas freeze and re-heat well in a microwave or Hot Logic thermal bag (see my “Gadgets” section for more on the Hot Logic). A great brown bag lunch!
Let’s begin with the enchiladas:
WHOLE WHEAT CHICKEN ENCHILADAS (6 enchiladas)
- 2 cups pre-cooked shredded cooked chicken (use store-bought rotisserie chicken)
- 2 8-oz. packages Frontera Enchilada Sauce (in Latino food section. You can substitute a 16 oz. can of enchilada sauce)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese (you can buy pre-grated Cheddar cheese in the deli section of your supermarket)
- 6 “La Tortilla Factory” Low Carb whole wheat tortillas *
1.Pour one package of enchilada sauce into a saucepan. Add chicken. Heat on “Low” until simmering. Turn off the burner.
2.Place a tortilla in a 9”x9” casserole dish. Put 1/4 cup of the chicken-sauce mixture in the middle of the tortilla. Add 1/4 cup grated cheese and top with a couple of slices of onion. Roll up the tortilla around the mixture, leaving ends open. Repeat until you have six completed enchiladas.
3.Pour the second package of sauce over the enchiladas. Sprinkle the remainder of the cheese and sliced onions on top. This dish can be microwaved on High for one to one and a half minutes, or until cheese is bubbling.
*Each La Tortilleria tortilla contains 50 calories, 8 grams of fiber, 5 grams of protein, and 11 grams of carbohydrates. In addition, each tortilla has only two grams of unsaturated fat and 200mg of sodium.
CILANTRO-LIME BROWN RICE (2 medium servings)
I first tried this dish at Cheesecake Factory and fell in love at first bite. Their version calls for white rice. In the recipe below, I use brown.
- One plastic envelope Trader Joe’s Frozen Brown Rice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro stir-in paste (I found a tube in the produce department at my local Albertson’s)
- Juice of one large lime
1.Heat up the rice according to instructions.
2.Stir in the cilantro paste and lime juice. Delicious with the enchiladas!