Some years ago, I traveled to London, England with a friend. One of the most delightful encounters I had there involved the “Eat” food chain. You can find these little delis throughout the city, and they offer an unlimited variety of salads and sandwiches for working people who want to purchase a quick and tasty lunch. . Lots of sandwiches….so many different meat, poultry, fish, egg, and vegetarian fillings.
In this post, I have listed a variety of sandwich fillings and breads to try out the next time you plan your brown bag lunches. Consider packing these spreads separately from the bread until you’re ready to eat, so that you don’t end up with a soggy mess. To make lunch even fancier, trim the crusts as they do for tea time in merry old England.
By the way, if you have some favorite spreads, please share on my comment section!
- Tomato-cheddar spread. Sandwich on white bread with sliced tomato, aged cheddar, and mayonnaise. Trim crusts and cut into pieces.
- Ham, brie and apple. Spread softened butter and dijon mustard inside a split loaf of French bread. Fill with deli ham, sliced brie and sliced green apple. Cut into pieces.
- Steak au Poivre. Mix 4 tablespooons each softened butter and chopped fresh herbs. Spread on baguette rounds. Top with thinly sliced steak and crushed peppercorns. (Great if you have some leftover steak from last night!)
- Olive-focaccia. Mix 1 cup chopped olives and 3 tablespoons chopped parsley. Drizzle the inside of a split loaf of focaccia with olive oil. Fill with the olive mixture and sliced provoline. Cut into squares.
- Salmon-cucumber. Spread softened cream cheese on white bread. Add smoked salmon and sliced cucumber. Trim the crusts and cut into pieces.
- Shrimp salad. 1 cup chopped cooked shrimp with 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1 tsp. curry powder, 1 teaspoon each grated lemon zest and juice, 1 tsp. each chopped chives, parsley and capers. Spread on white bread and add Bibb lettuce. Trim crusts and cut into pieces.
- Crab Salad. Instead of shrimp (see shrimp salad recipe), used 1 cup crabmeat. Add sliced avocado.
- Curried egg salad. Mix 3 chopped hard-boiled eggs, 3 tablespoons each chopped celery, red onion and cilantro, 2 teaspoons each dijon mustard and lime juice, and 1/4 cup mayonnaise. Cut white bread into pieces and spread with mango chutney. Add the egg mixture.
- Pesto chicken. Mix 2 teaspoons pesto with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Brush on thin baguette rounds. Top with sliced cooked chicken breast and halved grape tomatoes. Drizzle with a little more olive oil.
- Liverwurst-onion. Spread dijon mustard on pumpernickel bread. Add liverwurst and sliced red onion.
- Roast beef-horseradish. Spread horseradish cream on rye bread. Add sliced cucumber, roast beef, and watercress. Season with salt and pepper.
- Salmon salad. Combine 1 cup flaked cooked salmon, 3 tablespoons each mayonnaise, chopped chives and fresh dill, and 1 teaspoon each dijon mustard and lemon juice. Layer and salmon salad and sliced radishes on pumpernickel bread. Trim the crusts and cut into pieces.
- Tuna salad. Combine 12 ounces drained canned tuna, 2 tablespoons each minced red onion and chopped nicoise olives, and 1/4 cup olive oil. Drizzle the inside of mini potato rolls with olive oil. Fill with the tuna salad and chopped hard-boiled egg. Cut in half.
- Smoked trout. Mix 4 tablespoons softened butter with 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest. Spread on pumpernickel bread. Sandwich with flaked smoked trout and sliced cucumber and onion. Trim the crusts and cut into pieces.