Every once in a while, I purchase one of those wonderful roasted chickens they feature in the deli section of my supermarket. It is, of course, a challenge to use up the entire bird when you’re preparing meals for just one person. But I just can’t resist the smell of those chickens! (By the way, I prefer the herb-roasted variety.)
Here’s one way to use the meat from a roasted chicken:
FAJITAS WITH PRE-COOKED CHICKEN (3-4 servings)
- Three tablespoons pure olive oil
- One sweet yellow onion, chopped
- Two red bell peppers, cut into 1/2″x2″ slices
- Three cups herb-roasted chicken, shredded
- One packet (1.0 oz.) Lawry’s Chicken Fajitas mix
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add onions and bell peppers, and saute for three minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Stir in the Lawry’s Chicken Fajitas mix and cook for one more minute.
- Stir in the chicken and cook for two more minutes.
I find that making this dish ahead of time, wrapping it tightly and placing in the frig overnight helps to incorporate the flavors into the chicken better. This dish re-heats well in the microwave, Crockpot Lunch Warmer, or Hot Logic convection oven (see the “Gadgets” section for more on these brown bag devices). It’s delicious with a side of re-fried beans and/or warmed up corn tortillas.